New book: The Creation of Me, Them and Us

« You know, there are no female philosophers, because a female philosopher is called a feminist. »

Heather Marsh[1]

The single greatest tool for making moral people commit atrocities is group affiliation. The single greatest tool for promoting global human rights and equality is to end group affiliation.

This book is an expansion of the thought above, written in Binding Chaos in 2013. In 2013, so many things seemed simple and self-evident. In 2020, the goal seems as clear as ever, but the road seems much longer and many things have to be examined in detail that were glossed over a decade ago. Like our journey, this book is more complicated than the book written almost a decade ago. It will take longer to read and longer still to debate, but like Spain’s 15-M movement used to say, we are moving slowly because we are travelling a long way.

When our quest for justice falls apart we, like Inigo Montoya, need to go back to the beginning. This book is the beginning. It is part of a series that will cover the structure of our institutions, but before we can discuss our institutions, we need to discuss who we are. This series begins by examining the nature of self, life, will, reality and power. The rest of the series looks at the societal institutions which have grown up around nations, economy, law, governance, architecture and technology. These books are all a further examination of the problems identified in Binding Chaos in 2013.

By the time we reach the end of this series, we will hopefully be back on the road to building a better world, armed with a better understanding of where and how we were derailed. I hope it is some help to each of you on your own paths.

H.

« I want a world where caregivers of our communities and land hold institutional power, where everyone’s voice is heard and those who terrorize us with all impunity lose the power to do so. »

Heather Marsh[1:1]

1. from Heather Marsh’s introduction to the censored Panel on Whistleblowers held at the Oxford Union on February 17, 2018. CC-BY-SA 3.0 ↩︎ ↩︎

1 Like