Contributor Covenant Code of Conduct

From https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/1/4/code-of-conduct/:

Our Pledge

In the interest of fostering an open and welcoming environment, we as contributors and maintainers pledge to making participation in our project and our community a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of age, body size, disability, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, level of experience, nationality, personal appearance, race, religion, or sexual identity and orientation.

• What do you think about codes of conduct in general?
  • What do you think about this code of conduct specifically?
  • Do you think we need a code of conduct?

Codes of Conduct are optional in my view. It is more important how justice is put into practice and in that regard I consider Separation of Powers more important.

While a disturber can figure out behaviours that aren’t covered by the CoC or come up with excuses why they think their behaviour is okay with the CoC it is almost always necessary to be able to execute sanctions against disturbers while they oppose and disagree. Therefore any social organisation of consensus finds it hard to do these intrinsically non-consensual things.

Instead the way to run a Discourse in my view is to have both moderators and judges elected. The moderators do not need any complicated set of rules — they should simply keep things peaceful by their own common sense. Whenever somebody feels treated unjustly they can appeal to an independent court of judges that will have the last word.

A more elaborate version of this thinking resides at [Stru] Guidelines for Moderators of Coexistence