Let’s take back control of our events! #JoinMobilizon

Hi,

I’m traveling at the moment, so just a quick note to say I’ve had a read and will feed back more if it makes sense when I have time.

One thing that strikes me is I don’t think there is a one-size fits all solution here. There are quirks in radar specifically because it fits it’s demographic particular set of groups and their activities. The most strong of these is that the individuals aren’t visible, it’s groups that organise things, and generally the last thing they want to do is present individuals. Our API and activitypub will not, just can’t, have individuals as the actors in that way. The actors have to be groups. Another is that there are also different types of groups that curate different lists of events. There are many more things like this built in; recently we’ve been in discussion with a group in a city that keeps a generally offline calendar about ways to make stuff public without disclosing all details, certainly locations, but still giving ideas of groups. It’s all that sort of thing that fits by activist communities.

That in mind we’ve always been highly interested in working out ways of interoperability between different calendars - in a practical and hands-on sense. It’s required lots of communication between groups, and multiple different methods of working (social and technical). ActivityPub could simplify this a bit - but it’s not going to get rid of the requirement to tweak systems based on requirements of other groups from working through what can and can’t be done (and wants and doesn’t want).

Sorry bit rushed… I’ll try and keep and eye on the discussion.

1 Like