Community-Run Governance

Hi there and thank you for the invite!

I’m particularly interested about the topic of governance, and the necessary implications on open-source / (supposedly) community-run projects. I know @natacha already gave a talked about this during Fosdem, which inspired this writing. If people are interested to work on this, I’d love to have a workshop/discussion/whatever to discuss about governance, exchange tips, tricks, failures, etc.

1 Like

Hi @eliotberriot, welcome!

I really appreciated your article back when I read it. Thank you for reminding it to us!

I think it’s also relevant to the recent situations with Linus and Linux, and with RMS and the FSF and the GNU project:

Governance is the only issue

[…]
Most of the time, decision power ends up in the hands or one or few individuals who started or maintain such projects. We blindly trust and praise those heroes, whatever they are doing, or not doing. New, divergent or conflicting opinions are being dismissed for the sake of moving forward, and this is not acceptable if our end goal is to provide sustainable alternatives.

I’m eager to discuss your views during THX. Especially as we at :ps: are preparing some surprise for next FOSDEM with regard to this situation, and I’ve been working with the ActivityPub community to bootstrap a new collectively operated forum (this you already know).

Feel free to edit the wiki!

Hi @eliotberriot
yes its an important topic that can be fed by different diffractive readings, and including the issue in the development process.
As @how says this has taken a very new aspect in regards to RmS recent scandal, it has been such an emotional trigger as if the life of many persons depended on him for some irrational reason, proving fidelity became an important gesture for many. My feeling then was: “well we should have done this very differently, with a lot more care, and this shows that challenging the hero narrative is challenging a social organization”

Also not only the governance of one project is at stake but its existence within the community, when deciding to launch a project what approach do you take, how do you relate to what is in place, are there any instances that can help you communicate with the larger ecosystem to validate your decisions?

In those prospects Diffractive Reading of the situation can help to bring material together, and trace the way that things can be transformed, not only by setting guide lines as rules or codes, but also by understanding where things start and rooting back our practices to meaningful social organisation.

Maybe to approach this topic we could start by looking at the projects who have an organisation that we know and that we are engaged with

2 Likes

Hybrid & Fragile Aesthetics  |  ParticipateEngageCooperate