Anti-Racist Robots

Hello, I would like to suggest this workshop, if you think it fits to the context:

ANTI RACIST ROBOT WORKSHOP

When we teach machines how to think - and this is what developing AI is about - we naturally reproduce our own mindsets. Not only precious knowledge is transfered, but also mistakes and prejudice. Theorists as Audre Lorde, Reni Eddo-Iodge and Joy Buolamwini have shown how e.g. our rassisms are deeply rooted in our thinking structures. In this workshop we want to look at these prejudices, blind spots and stereotypes and counter them with alternative, anti-discriminatory, anti-violent concepts - by developing machines ourselves. Let us build anti-rassist, feminist robots, even if they might not be much smarter, but hopefully a little less stupid then ourselves! Please bring a laptop, your Arduina, Sensors, old speakers or electro garbage and embarque to a femininst mini-hackathon!

Short Bio
Stefanie Wuschitz works on the intersection of Art, Science and Technology, with a special focus on feminism, open source technology and peer production. Together with her collective she runs Mz* Baltazar’s Lab in Vienna, Austria. She is momentarily research fellow at the Weizenbaum Institut in Berlin.

Amazing, while reading your proposal it it feels it opens many many doors and question, it makes me think that we could unfold a number of issues during ThX:

• Thinking machine what does this exactly mean, diffractively looking at the notion of machine thinking from different technical social cultural and historical perspective in the here and now.
  • What are the thinking machines made of talking programming language, programming structure, what is the thinking part in the program, how soes it accumulate into a decision making system.
  • " For the master’s tools will never dismantle the master’s house.", Audrey Lordes tells us. What does it mean to transform thinking machines into feminist thinking machines, how much are those machines inbuilt into the masters house, and where is our possibility of intervention, this is a long time feminist dilemna, how does it translate to this situation.
  • Any machines that learns into a system, exclude what is contrary to this system, therefore it excludes radical feminism for example, as it inherently conflicts with existing system based on heteropatriarchal colonialist organisation.
  • We are working on human organisational structures in resistance to existing systems, how do we relate to thinking machines.

This is only a small part of what I can think of but I feel we could split this workshop in a number of roundtables that can happen along the session during roundtables that can be distributed during the 4-5 days.
Would this make sense?

Hybrid & Fragile Aesthetics  |  ParticipateEngageCooperate